Tuesday 14 May 2013

our first birthday party at home

Miss E turned 7 on Saturday. We (ok, hubby) thought a party at home might not be such a bad thing. How hard could it be??

I found a template online for party invitations. We chose something that was pretty, and it happened to have a rainbow on it. Birthday girl decided that rainbows would be our theme for the party. Ok, I can manage that....

So we needed a batch of cupcakes for school. That wasn't too hard. I chose a simple cupcake recipe online, and had seen a great idea for rainbow cupcakes. The cupcakes went to school and were a big success.


The actual birthday cake was easy. Again, I found a recipe online for a layered rainbow cake. I made the layers the day before the party, and did the icing on the morning of the party.



The rest of it was fairly standard party stuff. I had a go at face painting- which the kids loved. We have a small jumping castle, which was put to good use. Hubby took over the party games- pass the parcel, musical statues etc. We splurged and bought a cylinder of helium- the balloons looked great when the guests were dancing under them. And the party bags were fun to make up- I included a bag of gold wrapped chocolate coins, since there is always treasure at the end of the rainbow!

The kids seemed to have a great time. The birthday girl loved it all. We had a house full of tired children at the end of the day. 

(Just on the slim chance that anyone reading this blog knows my parents, please don't show them. They still don't believe that I can cook. The shock may harm them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment