Saturday 18 May 2013

do you take time out?

Mother's Day was last weekend. I was lucky- I got spoiled. But since then, I have been wondering about something- mothering is one of the hardest jobs in the world. So why do we only get one day each year?

I have been told by a professional psychologist that everyone needs to take time out for themselves, on a regular basis. But how to nurture yourself, when you are busy putting everyone else first?

After a recent period of extreme stress, I have been trying harder to think of ways to spoil myself. And it doesn't have to take hours, it doesn't have to involve a babysitter, and some of the ways to nurture yourself will actually be good for you.

Exercise Exercise releases endorphins, the 'feel good' hormones. And it can help to improve sleep quality. As well as the other health benefits (which I won't go into here). Apart from a solo workout, sport (individual or team) can be a social event. As someone who doesn't enjoy exercise, I admit that while I do feel good during the event, I feel much better when I stop!

Hobbies I struggle to find time for my hobbies. I do enjoy cooking creatively, as seen from my last blog post. If food nurtures your soul as well as your body, there are so many ways to indulge. It doesn't have to be time consuming, and it doesn't have to be bad for you. 18 microwave mug snacks has some ideas on how to grab a quick bite to eat, which is great when you are short on time. I recently discovered affogato, an amazing dessert if you love coffee. (And it's so simple if you have a decent coffee maker). Even a simple cup of tea or coffee can be transformed to amazing if you make it special- finding a comfy chair, with an amazing view, or a fancy blend of tea/coffee can make a difference.

Another hobby I never get enough time for is reading. The last book I read was Peace, Love and Khaki Socks by Kim Lock. Sitting down and escaping into the written word is a rare treat for me lately, but such an amazing novel was worth staying up 3 hours past my bedtime for.

I also love knitting, crochet and sewing- but my total lack of skills for these crafts mean that I don't feel relaxed afterwards. I end up feeling frustrated and wish I could do more. Maybe one day I will get to learn these properly.

Retail Therapy I'm not gonna lie. Shopping can be a great boost. But lately I have been more focused on browsing instead of shopping, and it's almost as good. I admit that I miss the thrill of getting something new- but knowing that my credit card hasn't been harmed during my moment of indulgence is another boost.

Pampering One of my favourite ways to improve my mood. A long, hot shower, with a gorgeous scented body wash (and ideally, with the door locked- no kids!) is my idea of awesome. After a bit of practice, I have also managed to learn how to do some salon treatments at home- nothing fancy, just nails, eyebrow/eyelash tinting, facials. Setting up a spa at home doesn't need to be expensive or fancy- check out YouTube, eBay and other online stores for ideas and price comparisons. I can do a full shellac manicure and paraffin wax hand bath at home.

Friends Don't underestimate the nurturing effect of being near people who care about you. The day I found some like minded friends was a life changing event for me. Being near people who love you can restore your soul.

Laughter Find something that makes you laugh, and go for it. Being silly with my girls can make me laugh until I have tears rolling down my face.

Sleep In a house full of 'early birds', a sleep in is nigh on impossible. When I feel tired, I go to bed early. I am prone to insomnia when I get stressed, and being tired makes it harder to manage.

This is my quick list. But what recharges your emotional batteries??


No comments:

Post a Comment